When it comes to training triceps, most people resort to a few common movements. Chief among them are isolation exercises like skull crushers and cable kickbacks. A common misconception is that doing isolation exercises is the only way to build stronger triceps. This is far from the truth. On the contrary, it’s the compound tricep exercises that increase muscle growth and strength. Isolation workouts are not entirely bad. But they make you prone to joint injury. Focusing on compound triceps exercises will help the muscles in this part to build rapidly as you can increase the time under tension. This blog will give you a list of the eight most effective compound triceps exercises for bigger and stronger arms.
Read Also:- Exercises To Do Everyday At Home To Stay Healthy
Top 8 Compound Triceps Exercises
1. Diamond Pushups
Diamond pushups are a basic calisthenics exercise that builds massive muscle mass in your triceps. They activate the triceps like no other exercise. However, mastering them is a bit challenging for even advanced athletes. Here’s how to do it.
- Start in a plank position on all fours with your face down and feet hip-width apart.
- Place your hands together in a way that they make a diamond shape on the floor.
- Your elbows should be tucked close to your chest.
- Now, start this exercise by lowering your chest toward your hands.
- Exhale and push yourself back up.
2. Close-Grip Bench Press
The close-grip bench press is one of those compound tricep exercises that boost triceps strength. Besides, the exercise also improves your bench press performance.
- Find a bench-press bench and lie down on it.
- Now, grip the bar over your head with an overhand hold.
- Check that your hands are shoulder-width apart.
- Lower down the bar toward the bottom part of your chest.
- Your elbows must go lower than your shoulders when you are at the bottom of this exercise.
- Now, keep the bar back to its initial position.
3. Neutral-Grip Dumbbell Press
The neutral-grip dumbbell press is a great exercise that works your triceps and chest. At the same time, it reduces the strain on the shoulders.
- Pick one dumbbell on each hand.
- Now, sit at one end of the bench.
- Slowly lower the weights while keeping your elbows over your wrists.
- Now, push the dumbbells upward.
- Keep your shoulders firmly on the bench.
4. Bench Dips
Bench dips make up for one of the effective compound triceps exercises that can be done anywhere. You don’t need much space but can train triceps, core, and pecks.
- Sit on a bench and grip its edge. Your hands should be outside your hips and fingers facing down.
- Lift yourself and step out your legs. Try keeping them as straight as possible.
- Pull your shoulders away from the ears and lower toward the floor.
- As you do that, your elbows should bend straight back.
- Keep bending till a 90-degree angle forms between your forearms and biceps.
- Now, exhale and push yourself back up to the starting position.
5. Long Head Triceps Exercise
The long-head triceps exercise consists of two movements. These weighted movements use the motions of shoulder and elbow extension.
- Keep your hands directly above yourself.
- Now, lower your hands to your sides.
- Next, straighten your arms behind your body and lock your elbows.
- Lower the dumbbells behind your back.
- Now, extend the dumbbells back up.
- Drive the elbows to the initial position and then straighten your arms overhead.
6. Parallel Bar Triceps Dips
Parallel bar tricep dips are one of the classic compound tricep exercises for mass. It is a bodyweight exercise and can be made tougher by adding load. To do them, follow these instructions.
- Find parallel bars and grip them firmly.
- Raise yourself to the top of the dip position.
- Tighten your upper back and squeeze the shoulder blades.
- Now, slightly push your upper body forward.
- Tuck in your elbows slightly forward and lower yourself.
- Your elbows should form a 90-degree angle.
- Lastly, press your hands through the bar handles and repeat the movement.
7. Elevated Pike Push-Ups
- Begin in a normal push-up position.
- Elevate your feet to a height that feels comfortable.
- With your arms and legs straight, lower the top of your head toward the floor.
- When your head is about to touch the floor, pause for a second and push yourself back up till you’re in an inverted V position.
8. Dumbbell Overhead Press
A dumbbell overhead press is undoubtedly one of the best compound tricep exercises that build triceps and shoulder muscles. You can do it standing or seated, depending on your fitness level.
- Sit on a stand and hold the dumbbells.
- Bring them over your head and beneath your chin.
- Now, push them overhead till your arms are fully stretched out.
- Bring the dumbbells back to the starting position.
Compound triceps exercises develop muscles while also enhancing stability. They also burn more calories as they put more muscle tissue to work. If your goal for 2024 is to develop triceps strength, doing the exercises above will give you the maximum benefits. Start them with lighter weights and increase the load progressively to get the maximum benefit.